V

Vaidya, Raj, physician [vaidya is ‘physician’ in Sanskrit], GP Barrow and co-founder of Barrow’s International Forum, friend of Howard Bradley and Michael Scott (qqv)

Valentine, Charles James (18xx-19xx), FRGS, JP, politician, first MP (Conservative) for Cockermouth Division of Cumberland 1885-1886 (after abolition of parliamentary borough), losing seat to Liberals (attributed to Parnell’s shift of support from one party to the other affecting significant Irish vote in town), MP for Workington, Poor Law Union guardian (1883), member of Workington Local Board, magistrate for Workington Petty Sessional Division (1894), laid one of memorial stones of new Primitive Methodist chapel and school-room (architect, W G Scott, erected on site of old chapel) in John Street, Workington on 19 July 1882, of Bankfield, Banklands, Workington

Valentine, James, flew his Deperdussin Type B monoplane to Carlisle on the Daily Mail Circuit of Britain Air Race in 1911, then completed the course, this was of 1540 miles, held annually from 1911-1914, Lord Northcliffe put up prizes (the first was £10,000), to boost interest in and development of aircraft, Valentine landed at the racecourse; Emmett and Templeton, A Century of Carlisle, photograph p.35-7

Valentine, Herbert (1865-1955), antiquary and chemist, eldest son of C J Valentine (qv), member of CWAAS from 1922, member of Council from 1927, and vice-president 1939, died at Seaton Cote, Workington, 15 April 1955, aged 89 (CW2, lv, 365-66)

Valentine, H. and A.W., enthusiastic campers of Workington, their book Tales of a Tent (1977) describes camping before the First World War, they even took a harmonium

Vallibus, Hubert de (fl. 1140, d.1164/5) (CW3, vii, 49-55)

Vane, Charles (1680-1721; ODNB), pirate in Bahamas; is he linked with Cumbria ?

Vane, Sir Frederick MP, had a pack of hounds at Wythop and employed John Peel (qv) as huntsman from 1829-1852, after Peel’s death he sold the pack; see Sir Wilfred Lawson 2nd Bt

Vane, Sir Henry, killed at the battle of Rowton Head in 1645

Vane, Sir Henry the younger, governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony c.1636

Vane, Henry, 2nd earl of Darlington (1726-1792), politician and army officer, born 1726, son of xxx Vane, 1st earl of Darlington and Lord Barnard of Barnard Castle (d.1758), and his wife, Grace (1697-1763), dau of Charles Fitzroy, duke of Cleveland and Southampton, matric at Christ Church, Oxford, 28 May 1744, aged 17, MA Cambridge, 3 July 1749, entd Army, Captain 1st Foot Guards 1747, Lieut-Col Coldstream Guards 1750, Colonel in the Army (during service) 1779, halted his regiment at Kendal on xx xxx [1757x1792], while he stayed at the Low Wood Inn for night, having been with ‘Lady D. one officer & my Chaplain…upon the Lake all day’, not realising that Sir Michael Fleming’s house Rydal Hall was so near (letter, undated, in CRO, WD/Ry/HMC 5698a), MP (Whig) for Downton 1749-1753 and for co Durham 1753-1758, succ father as earl of Darlington in March 1758, Lord Lieutenant of co Durham 1758-1792, governor of Carlisle 1763-1792, master of the Jewel Office 1763-1782, opposed Fox-North Coalition in 1783 and supported Pitt’s Regency Bill, marr (19 March 1757, at St George’s, Hanover Square, London) Margaret (died at Laneton Grange, co Durham, 4 September 1800; will proved 1801), dau of Robert Lowther (qv), of Maulds Meaburn, and sister of Sir James Lowther, 1st earl of Lonsdale, 1 son (William Harry, born 27 July 1766, succ as 3rd earl of Darlington in 1792, cr marquess of Cleveland in 1827 and baron Raby of Raby Castle and duke of Cleveland in 1833, died 29 January 1842), died at Raby Castle, co Durham, 8 September 1792, aged 66, and buried at Raby; will proved December 1792

Vane, Henry, 18thc, planted 50,000 trees

Vane, Sir Henry (b.c.1858), inherited Hutton-in-the-Forest in 1870 aged 12, marr Mary Gladstone a cousin of the prime minister, she was interested in the arts and crafts and influenced the decoration of the interior, including William Morris wallpapers

Vane, Patrick Fletcher (1861-1934; ODNB)

Vane, Sir Frederick Fletcher- MP 2nd Bt (1760-1832), son of Sir Lionel Wright Vane-Fletcher and Rachael Griffith of Hutton in the Forest, marr Hannah Bowerbank of Johnby 1797,  father of Sir Francis Fletcher-Vane 3rd Bt, two other sons Walter and Frederick, took the name Flecther-Vane instead of Vane-Fletcher in 1790, MP for Winchelsea 1792-4 and for Carlisle 1796-1802, and Winchelsea again from 1806-7, sheriff of Cumberland 1788-9,  his election in 1796 is remembered as a long expensive contest, for a petition against his return and for the degree of corruption involved, he was representing the anti-Lowther interest, though owning Hutton in the Forest and Armathwaite, he preferred the latter house to the detriment of Hutton which he allowed to fall into disrepair, he is described as strong-willed, determined, fractious, controversial, financially shrewd but extravagant, while at Armathwaite he employed John Peel as his huntsman, during this time his hounds completed a run a 70 miles, which was one of the longest recorded; his portrait by George Romney is in the drawing room at Hutton; Hutton Guide Book and Notes for House Guides

Vane, Sir Francis Fletcher- (1797-1842), 3rd Bt, High Sheriff of Cumberland 1837

Vane, Sir Henry Ralph Fletcher- (1830-1908), 4th Bt, DL, JP, son of Sir Francis Fletcher-Vane (qv), vice lieutenant of Cumberland 1880, high sheriff of Cumberland 1856, president of Cumberland & Westmorland Agricultural Society (1868), died s.p. in 1908, succ in title by his cousin (Sir Francis Patrick Fletcher-Vane (1861-1934), 5th and last Bt), but not in estates, which passed eventually to Lord Inglewood (qv)

Vane, Mary Fletcher-, Lady Inglewood (1913-1982), eldest dau of Sir Richard George Proby (1886-1979), 1st Bt, MC, JP, of Elton, marr William Morgan Fletcher-Vane, 1st Baron Inglewood (1909-1989) (qv), of Hutton-in-the-Forest, 2 sons (Richard, 2nd Baron Inglewood, and Francis)

Vane, William Morgan Fletcher-, 1st Baron Inglewood (1909-1989), TD, DL, MA, of Hutton-in-the-Forest, politician, born 12 April 1909, only son of Col Hon William Lyonel Vane (1859-1920), DL, JP, and Lady Katharine Louisa Pakenham (dau of 4th earl of Longford), and nephew of 9th baron Barnard, assumed surname of Fletcher-Vane in lieu of Vane by deed poll in1931, he inherited the estate in 1949 and the same year marr (28 July) Mary (d. 19xx), eldest dau of Sir Richard George Proby, 1st Bt, MC, JP, of Elton, 2 sons (Richard, 2nd Baron Inglewood, and Francis), educ Charterhouse and Trinity College, Cambridge (MA 1934), served WW2 (despatches), Lieut-Col. DLI, MP for Westmorland 1945-1964 (polling 19,717 votes in 1945 with majority of 10,043; 22,228 in 1950 with majority of 13,174; 23,227 in 1951 with majority of 14,110), PPS to Minister of Agriculture from November 1951, ‘a good MP – as far as Tories go’ (Harold Wilson), cr Baron Inglewood, of Hutton-in-the-Forest in 1964, died in 1989

Vane-Tempest-Stewart, Maureen (1900-1942), socialite and writer, dau of earl Londonderry, marr OFG Stanley MP (qv), wrote Crime and National Responsibility (1933), lectured for the British Council in the Balkans

Varah, the Rev. Chad (1911-2007; ODNB), son of Canon William Edward Varah, educated Worksop College, Keble College, Oxford, Lincoln Theological College, curate in Barrow from 1940-42, founder of The Samaritans in 1953; obit. Guardian 10th November 2007, 40

Varty, under librarian Lincoln’s Inn

Varty, William (17xx-1814), fellmonger, founder of Methodist chapel, died 25 April 1814 (CWHS, 76, Autumn, 2015)

Varty-Smith, Jonathan Charles (1856-1924), geologist, b Edenhall, son of George Smith (1816-1879), farmer at Luham, and his wife Ann Varty (1823-1908) dau of John Varty of Liverpool, in 1909 he lived near the Beacon, Penrith at a house called Nandana, wrote numerous articles in CWAAS and Some Knitting Implements of C and W, Connoisseur XXV 1909; also G. Varty-Smith (his brother?)

Vasconcellos, Josefina Alys Hermes de (1904-2005), sculptor, dau of Hippolyto de Vasconcellos, Brazilian diplomat, ed Regent St Polytechnic, worked in the studio of Antoine Bourdelle (1861-1929), teacher of Alberto Giacometti (1901-1966) and himself a pupil of Auguste Rodin (1840-1917), m. Delmar Banner (qv), adopted two boys, lived The Bield, Langdale, latterly peripatetic at Isel Hall, Kendal and the Old Wash House, Peggy Hill, Ambleside, carved The Hand for St Bees School war memorial, her greatest work The Last Chimera is now in Edinburgh in the graveyard of the Canongate church, worked internationally, versions of her Reunion are at Coventry, Berlin and Hiroshima, her last work in stone Escape to Light (1994-2003) is at Haverigg; monographs by Linda Clifford and Margaret Lewis; David A. Cross, Public Sculpture, 2017, 156-7, 178-9 and 206; the Ingres-Bourdelle Museum, Montauban, exhibits examples of work of her master Bourdelle; Royal Watercolour Society ex. review by George Sandilands in The Studio,1947

Vaughan, Cedric (1841-1911), JP, iron mine manager, born at Ashby de la Zouche in 1841, articled to Messrs Robert Stephenson & Co, locomotive engineers, apptd Assistant Locomotive Superintendent of Midland Railway at Derby, joined Hodbarrow Mine Company in 1872 as deputy manager under William Barratt (qv), later becoming chairman and managing director, his career at Hodbarrow spanning the best days of the mine, knew and worked closely with most of the original partners, succ as chairman in 1911 by William Isaac Barratt (qv), chairman of Millom Local Board of Health, Cumberland County Councillor (Conservative), member of Millom UDC (Holborn Hill ward to 1907), JP (Bootle PS division), of Leyfield House, Millom, became ill by end of 1910 and died in February 1911 (A Harris, Cumberland Iron, 1970, 48 ; CW2, lxvi, 461); his son George (qv)

Vaughan George C., (18xx-1952), son of Cedric Vaughan (qv), joined board of directors of Hodbarrow Mining Company after father’s death in 1911, appointed joint manager (with W D Barratt) in April 1924, becoming chairman in 1927 until his own death in 1952, father and son having served company between them for more than 80 years, of Duddon Villa, Millom (1921)

Vaughan, Louis Ridley- (1875-1942) KCB KBE, Lt Gen, son of Cedric Vaughan (qv), manager of Hodbarrow mine, Millom, educated Uppingham and Sandhurst, Indian army, 1st WW and 2nd Afghan war (mentioned despatches) m. Emilie Kate Demesne Dean, ‘a charming man, like an Oxford don’, dedicated the Millom war memorial

Vaughan, Thomas Charles, BA, clergyman, rector of Castle Carrock (1858)

Vaughan Williams, Sir Ralph (1872-1958; ODNB), composer, b Down Ampney, Glos, son of Revd Anthony Vaughan Williams, his mother was related to the Wedgwood and Darwin families, visited Lakes on a reading party 1895; Keith Aldritt, Vaughan Williams: Composer, Radical, Patriot, 2019

Vaux family, of Catterlen, since temp. Henry II

Vaux, Calvert (1824-1895), architect and landscape designer, son of Calvert Bowyer Vaux (1792-1833) of Catterlen, with Frederick Law Olmsted laid out Central Park, New York; Hudleston [C]

Vaux, Robert de (fl.late 12thc), aka Robert de Vallibus, baron of Gilsland, established Lanercost Priory c.1166

Venables-Vernon, see Harcourt

Vertue, Robert (d.1846), railway engineer, superintendant with John Stephenson and Co. in the construction of the Lancaster-Carlisle railway, huge gothic monument in St Andrew’s churchyard, Penrith, grade II listed

Vernon, Isabel de, litigant, probably the sister of Andrew de Harcla q.v.; CW2 lxiv 133

Veteripont, Lady Ideonea, founded St Mary’s church near Outhgill, Kirkby Stephen c.1311

Veteripont, also Vieuxpont

Vickers, Douglas (1861-1937), industrialist, son of Thomas Edward Vickers (1833-1915; ODNB), chairman of Vickers Son and Maxim of Sheffield (merger of 1896), then of Vickers Armstrongs (merger of 1927); Grace’s Guide, he later appears in a Spy cartoon, 1909

Vickers, Harold Hayes (1xxx-19xx), clergyman, authorised to hold benefices of Newbiggin with Milburn and of Dufton in plurality (order by bishop of Carlisle made 27 June 1955 and gazetted on 1 July)

Vickers, John Kendal (Johnny) (1933-2017), farmer, born 22 June 1933, only child of Kendal and Sarah Jane Vickers, of Netherclose, Loweswater, educ Loweswater School and Fairfield School, Cockermouth, leaving in 1948 at age of fifteen, worked at Oakbank, Loweswater for three years, joining Lamplugh Young Farmers, then at Streetgate, Lamplugh for nine years, followed by agricultural contracting and driving cattle wagons for Harold Braithwaite at Whinnah, marr (2 January 1960) Edna Todd at Loweswater, 2 daus (Joan and Rita), living at Netherclose until November 1965 when they moved to Howside, a National Trust farm in Ennerdale, running a Friesian dairy herd, Limousin sucklers and a flock of sheep, winning a number of trophies for his pedigree cattle, until retiring in 1998 and returning to the family farm at Netherclose, where he continued to keep Limousin sucklers and some sheep until ill health forced him to give up farming in 2016, past chairman of North West Limousin Society, past president of both Loweswater and Ennerdale Shows, master of Melbreak Hounds for number of years, great family man and teller of humorous stories, died in West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, 20 June 2017, aged 83, and buried at St Bartholomew’s Church, Loweswater, 3 July (WN, 29.06.2017)

Vigodny, Andor ‘Bondi’ (1913-2008), tanner and industrialist; Thomas Tuohy, British Art Journal, Rosehill, c.2015

Victoria (1819-1901; ODNB), queen of United Kingdom, stayed at Lowther Castle in childhood, at Naworth Castle in 1850, often took the royal train through the county en route to Balmoral, stopping at Carlisle and is believed to have taken tea in 1853 in the new Station Hotel, accession monument by Bland at Shap Wells carries a statue of Britannia, bust in Barrow town hall, statue in Bitts Park, Carlisle, celtic cross in Queen’s Park, Sedbergh, several other more modest monuments in the county including the maypole at Nether Wasdale; David A. Cross, Public Sculpture, 2017, 138-9, 183-4, her daughters Victoria and Louise (qqv)

Victoria, princess royal (1840-1901; ODNB), daughter of queen Victoria; visited Kirkby Stephen in 1900 where the Arcade is named after her

Vieuxpont (Veteripont or Vipont), Robert de (d.1228), Anglo-Norman baron of Westmorland, son of William de Vieuxpont and Matilda (some sources give Maud), dau of Hugh de Morville (qv), granted barony of Appleby and the castles of Appleby and Brough ( built Brougham castle), besides lordships in Yorkshire and Normandy in 1203, sheriff of various counties between 1207 and 1213, but hereditary sheriff of Westmorland from 120x, supporter of King John, joint custodian of Yorkshire castles for John in 1216, marr Idoine de Builli, their son Robert died at the battle of Eversham in 1265, the estates descended to the 1st baron de Clifford ((qv)

Villiers, Right Revd Henry Montagu (1813-1861), DD, MA, bishop of Carlisle and of Durham, student of Christ Church, Oxford 1830-1838, MA 1837, DD 1856, vicar of Kenilworth 1837, rector of St George’s, Bloomsbury, London 1841-1856, canon of St Paul’s Cathedral, London 1847-1856, nominated bishop of Carlisle 3 March 1856, and consecrated 13 April, held the see from 1856-1860, his narrow evangelical views obstructed the promotion of clergy with high church leanings, nominated bishop of Durham, 18 July 1860, and translated and confirmed 24 August, but died 9 August 1861

Vincent, Gabriel (fl.17thc.) steward to Lady Anne Clifford; large stone inside the church at Church Brough to him

Vogt, George (18xx-19xx), MPS, chemist, Edmondson & Vogt, chemists and opticians, of 30 Highgate, Kendal (firm continued until 1975), Kendal borough councillor (to retire in 1931), wife Alice, of Monument House, 55 Beast Banks, Kendal (1925), dead by 1934; (records in CRO, WDB 38)

Voysey, Charles Frederick Annesley (1857-1941; ODNB), architect, designed Broad Leys, Moorcrag and Littleholme, Sedbergh Road, Kendal; Hyde and Pevsner; Matthew Hyde and Esme Whittaker, Arts and Crafts Houses in Lake District