O

O’Connor, Jack (c.1890-c.1965), of Fellside, Kendal, local author of Memories of Old Kendal (1961), contributor to Westmorland Gazette, worked at K Shoes, Netherfield, Kendal, presented a pattern book to Kendal Corporation at meeting of Town Council on 6 November 1951, died c.1965/6

Oakley, Charles Ernest (1926-2008), artist and teacher, b. Urmston, Manchester, educated Manchester GS, Slade College of Art, taught Eden School, Carlisle, following an exhibition at Krane Kalman in Manchester (where LS Lowry bought a painting), taught at Belfast College of Art, later Newcastle Polytechnic [now Northumbria university], in 1984 became an artist full time; obit CN 18 April 2008

Oakley, John (1834-1890), clergyman, educated at Brasenose College, Oxford, London curacies, vicar of Hoxton, dean of Carlisle and then Manchester; Gladstone qv

Oates, Jonas, a black boy, the son of Francis and Eda Oates, bap. St Nicholas Whitehaven 21 September 1776; also his brother Samuel

Odard (fl.early 12thc), vice comes, (Odard of Carlisle not Odard of N.), appears on pipe roll of 1129; W Percy Hedley CW2, 59, 40-50

O’Dwyer, Alfred Cannon (c.1810-1883), of Mansion House, Burton-in-Kendal, buried at Burton, 13 June 1883, aged 73

Odgers, James Edwin (1843-19xx), MA, Unitarian Minister, born at Plymouth, 14 April 1843, educ Manchester New College, London (graduated 1865), assistant minister at Renshaw Street, Liverpool for 15 months before coming to Kendal as minister of Market Place Chapel for one year (1 January to 31 December 1868), minister at Bridgwater 1869-1878, Toxteth Park 1878-1882, and Altrincham 1882-1893, principal of Unitarian Home Missionary Board 1884-1891 and theological tutor 1882, Hibbert lecturer on Ecclesiastical History, Manchester college, Oxford 1894 (ONK, 429)

Ogden, Joseph (1862-1925), art teacher, b.Kirkby Lonsdale, head of Sydney Cooper school of art, Canterbury

Ogle, Thomas, illustrator, The English Lakes, Mountains and Waterfalls, 1864

Oglethorpe, James (1696-1785), brigadier general, fought at Clifton Moor and court martialled in 1746 for disobeying orders and allowing some of the rebels to escape, but acquitted; CW2 liv 200; CW2 lxiii 233; CW2 x 295; Edward J. Cashin, Account of the 1745: Escape of the Scots at Shap, Georgia Historical Society Quarterly, vol.76, no 1, spring 1992, 87-99

Oglethorpe, Owen (c.1503-1559), bishop of Carlisle, crowned Elizabeth I

Oldham, E Laura (1919-2003), MA, headmistress, born 31 January 1919, brought up in the country, headmistress of Elmslie School, Blackpool for 26 years from 1952, making substantial additions to school buildings and inspiring innumerable fund-raising schemes, numbers grew and academic standards rose, welcomed Margaret Thatcher to prize-giving day in 1970, retired to Kendal in 1978/9 (27 Castle Green Close), but chose to attend St Mark’s church, Natland, after trying various others in and around Kendal, persuaded by Revd Colin Stannard to become a reader (licensed by October 1980), person of strong but unostentatious Christian faith, gave quiet and sound advice, of great integrity and kindness, developed strong interest in local history of Natland and Oxenholme, staged various local history exhibitions in church, esp for 75th anniversary of church in November 1985, resulting in several short publications: The Church on Natland Green (c.1985, 2nd ed 1996), A Home in the Country: St Mark’s Natland (1993), Oxenholme: The Railway Village (1995), and Now and Then at St Mark’s School, Natland (2003), unmarried, known as Auntie Laulie to her family, latterly of Kent Court, Kendal, died 11 November 2003, aged 84, and funeral at St Mark’s church, 15 November (tributes in St Mark’s Parish News, January 2004, 6-9)

Oldman, Jonathan (17xx-18xx), steward, letters to Sir Philip Musgrave 1788, Musgrave Manors of Hartley and Kirkby Stephen 1793, and Great and Little Musgrave 1795 (CRO, WD/CAT/A2173; WDX 1572)

Oliphant, Capt Thomas, fought at the battle of Dettingen in 1743

Oliver, Eric Edwin (c.1908-1992), clergyman and local councillor, vicar of Staveley 1943-1976, last chairman of South Westmorland district council to 1974, retired to 96 Park Avenue, Euxton, Chorley, died aged 84 and ashes buried at Staveley St James, 10 September 1992

Oliver, George Dale (1851-1928), architect Carlisle, b. Newcastle, son of Thomas Oliver (1824-1902), architect and his wife Elizabeth Dale (1823-1871), trained with George E. Street (1824-1881; ODNB), designed the Crown and Mitre hotel in Carlisle market place, Carlisle Grammar School (1881-2), the octagonal Temperance coffee house in North St (1881-2), Red Gables in Chatsworth Square (1885) for William Hudson Scott (qv) and an extension to St Augustine church Alston (1886), county architect c.1892-1919, marr Charlotte Annie Crook (1854-1931), lived at 12 Chiswick St in 1881 and 18 Howard Place in 1901

Ollerenshaw, Kathleen DBE PhD (nee Timpson) (1912-2014; ODNB), mathematician, educationist and politician, born Withington, the daughter of Charles Timpson (1881-1967) and his wife Mary Elizabeth Stops (also granddaughter of the founder of Timpson’s shoe repairer chain), profoundly deaf from the age of 8, educ St Leonards School, St Andrews, Somerville College, Oxford, part time lecturer at Manchester university, marr Robert Ollerenshaw (1912-1986) a surgeon and later hon col in the TA, city councillor Manchester, education committee, Lord Mayor 1975-6, High Sheriff 1978-9, president of the Institute of Mathematics, involved with the foundation of the Royal Northern College of Music and was Pro-Chancellor of Lancaster University, had a ‘bolt hole’ at Hodge Close near Coniston from 1954, Peter Maxwell Davies’ 9th Naxos quartet dedicated to her, gave her telescope to the university, died Didsbury aged 101; autobiography To Talk of Many Things, 2004 esp. 93-98; for her husband see Plarr’s Lives; BBC radio 4 Great Lives 23 August 2022

Ollivant, Alfred (1874-1927), novelist, born in Nuthurst, Sussex in 1874, first novel Bob, Son of Battle published in 1898 and set in Cumberland about a suspected sheep-killing collie Bob, with dialogue written in Cumbrian dialect, with a sequel Danny (1902), followed by twelve further novels ranging from small-scale cautionary tales to grand historical epics, published between 1907 and 1927, died in London, 19 January 1927 (portrait by John Henry Smith)

Ollivant, Capt. Thomas [d.1747], 4th dragoons, killed a man in a duel 1724, fought at Dettingen 1743; CW2 xlviii 130

Onassis, Aristotle (1906-1975), shipping magnate, visited Barrow, see Les Shore, Leonard Redshaw biography; Stavros Niarchos (qv)

O’Neil, John (1810- after 1875), weaver, b. Carlisle worked Clitheroe and Bentham; his journals of 1856-1875 published Lancashire and Cheshire Record Society, vol.CXXII

O’Neill, Patrick (Pat), police officer, Chief Constable of Kendal Borough Police 1922-1947, when county and borough forces were amalgamated, also Inspector of Weights and Measures, and Superintendent of Fire Brigade, tall impressive figure at 6’ 4”, of 3 Lound Road (1915), of 1 Bridge Street, then of Highfield, Kendal Green from 1938 (KG, 122)

Orbell, William (15xx-16xx), headmaster of Carlisle Grammar School 1610-1612, designated “LM” (Ludi Magister) on Carlisle Cathedral No.2 bell in 1608, Carlisle chapter clerk?, pioneer in change-ringing movement?, paid visit to London, returning in October 1618 to be given ‘a present of sacke and sewgar’, last mentioned as dining in widow Slee’s parlour with mayor and others in 1624 – but is he same William Orbell ordained deacon on 23 December 1608 and priest in September 1610, collated to Aspatria on 8 August 1610, removed to be instituted (as ‘Guil. Orbell junr’) rector of Bowness on Solway on 11 August 1617 and died in 1629? (CW1, viii, 142-147; ECW, i, 601, 643)

Ord, Andrew James Blackett- (1922-2012), MA, judge, 2nd son of John Reginald Blackett-Ord, of Whitfield Hall, Northumberland, educ Oxford University (MA), chancellor of diocese of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, member of CWAAS from 1954 marr R M, 2 sons (Mark and Charles), of Helbeck Hall, Brough, died xx February 2012, aged 90

Orde, John Bertram of Norham (N) was of Soulby, Kirkby Stephen when his daughter Eliza Jane marr the Rev John Romney (qv) of Whitestock Hall

Orfeur family of Plumbland; CW1 iii 99

Orfeur, William (c.1618-1681), of High Close, Plumbland, High Sheriff of Cumberland 1676, owned colliery at Oughterside left to his son William by his will of 168;  (CW1, xv, 408)

Ormandy, John (17xx-18xx), clergyman, curate of Greystoke 1815-1822, marr (14 February 1819, at Greystoke, by licence, by John Stephenson, vicar of Dacre) Mary Wilkinson (Thomas and Ann Wilkinson as witnesses)

Ormandy, Joseph (b.1791), farmer, born Aldingham, later farmed at Skells Lodge, Urswick; Rod White, Furness Stories Behind the Stones

Ormandy, William, of Hassel Head, sold the farm in 1800 but retained the mineral, stone and slate rights, together with the power of fishing, fowling, hawking and hunting (on) the premises; Collingwood LD Hist cited JC Cooper, Duddon Valley

Ormathwaite, baron, see Benn-Walsh, or Walsh

Ormrod, Fray (d.1903), physician, president of the BMA, involved in the rescue after the explosion at St Helen’s pit in Workington on 19 April 1888, awarded gold medal; presidential lecture by Dr Barnes in BMJ, obit. BMJ 7th November 1903, for explosion see The Times 23 April 1888, also 20, 21, 24, 26  and 30 April, for inquest 30 May and 14 June

Ormrod, Sir Roger Fray Greenwood, (1911-1992) MC, judge, b. Whitehaven, son of a solicitor, educ Shrewsbury and Queen’s College, Oxford, 2nd WW RA, lord justice of appeal 1974-82, key finding in Corbett vs Corbett (1971), ordered the first paternity test, obit Times 9 January 1992

Ornsby, George (1809-1886; ODNB), cleric, rector of Fishlake, married Ann daughter of John Wilson, of The Hill, Brigham, latterly a canon of York, published Selections from the Household Books of Lord William Howard of Naworth [1878] and other works; portrait drawing illustrated in David [A] Cross, Joseph Bouet: Durham and the Age of Reform, 58

Ortelius, cartographer; CW3 xv 138

Orton, Simon de (fl.1220s), royal official, Justice of Assize 1225, Coroner for Cumberland 1232

Osbaldeston, Richard (1791-1764; ODNB), clergyman, b Hunmanby, son of Sir Richard Osbaldeston MP, educ St John’s Cambridge, bishop of Carlisle, nominated bishop on 28 July 1747 and consecrated 4 October, alleged by his successor, Charles Lyttelton (qv), to have neglected and asset-stripped Rose Castle, but claimed to have spent £1,000 on castle and diocese, translated to London but died after two years on 15 May 1764

Osborn, Joseph (b.1823), sea captain and artist, b. Allonby, at sea aged sixteen on the Concorde out of Maryport, m. Jane Roper, ten children, moved to Liverpool and sailed many voyages to the West Indies, Cuba, South America; his ms logbooks are at the National  Maritime Museum and contain many drawings of ships, coastlines and birds; solwaypastandpresentblogspot

Osmaston, Gordon Hutchinson (1898-1990), soldier and founder member of the Himalyan Club, lived Grasmere

Osmotherly family of Cumberland; CW2 xvi 169

Osmotherley, Salkeld (1703-1763), clergyman, bapt at Bromfield, 27 February 1703, yst son and 8th child of Cuthbert Osmotherley (bur 6 February 1745), of Bromfield and Mary (bur 11 November 1733), dau of Henry Salkeld, of Threapland Hall, ordained deacon by bishop of Carlisle, 5 June 1726, but priest elsewhere, vicar of Kirkby Fleetham, North Riding 1729-1763 (instituted 24 June 1729), died intestate 1763, admon granted to widow Ann, 29 February 1764 (CW2, lxxxiii, 181)

Ossalinsky (Ossolinski; nee Jackson), Mary, Countess (c.1821-1902), landowner, born, dau and only child of Edward Washington Jackson (died v.p. 1825, aged 33), of Keswick, attorney (son of Wilson Jackson (1756-1844), who was son of John Jackson, of Armboth), marr (1839) Count Vladimir Boris Ossalinsky (d.1859, aged 51), of Chestnut Hill, Keswick, a Polish aristocrat of ancient lineage, 1 son (Vladimir Boris Jackson Ossalinsky (1840-1893), who assumed surname Jackson, was of Skiddaw View, Keswick, 1 dau) and 1 dau (Nathalie, who marr (1862) William Harrison, of Penrith, solicitor), returned to Keswick from Russia after death of her husband in 1859 and carried out resolute rearguard action against Manchester Corporation Waterworks Committee’s proposal to flood Thirlmere for reservoir, Armboth estate valued by Manchester at £25,000, which she disputed and after legal action was awarded £70,000, but could not prevent construction of waterworks going ahead in 1890-91, died in 1902, aged 81

Ostle, John (1828-90), farmer, born Newtown, Silloth, lived at the Nook Border farm, his journal of his Quaker life describes the Carlisle to Silloth railway; diary ms Carlisle, CRO

Othello, black servant of John Hartley, Whitehaven, buried 1761

Otley, Jonathan (1766-1856), clockmaker, geologist, botanist, meteorologist, naturalist, and author, born at Nook House (or Scraggs), Loughrigg, as boy helped his father in swill basket making and watch repairing, moved to Keswick in 1791 as young man to be a clock repairer, became well known as watchmaker, surveyor and guide, measured levels of lake Derwentwater 1824-1852, identified three-fold stratification of rocks in central Lake District, and explained difference between bedding and cleavage of rocks, author of Remarks on the Succession of the Rocks in the District of the Lakes (1820) and A Concise Description of the English Lakes and Adjacent Mountains (1823), which became very popular and reprinted many times, acknowledged as the father of Lake District geology, recognised the three major divisions of Lakeland rocks (Skiddaw Slates, Borrowdale Volcanic rocks, and Silurian Slates), first to scientifically investigate the Floating Island of Derwentwater, friend of John Dalton (qv) and Adam Sedgwick (qv), of King’s Head Yard, Keswick, d. Keswick, buried in Crosthwaite churchyard (T F Smith, 2007), Keswick Characters vol.1; Alan Smith, The Rock Men, 2001

Otway, Sir John (1619-1693), KC, lawyer, of Ingmire Hall, Sedbergh and of Over Kellet, born at Beckside Hall, Middleton-in-Lonsdale, in 1619, eldest son of Roger Otway (died at Ingmire, 10 February 1648, aged 88) and dau of John Mayer (qv), educ Sedbergh School and St John’s college, Cambridge (matric 1636), elected fellow on the Lupton Foundation 1639, but ejected for refusing Solemn League and Covenant in March 1643, joined royalist army, close friend of John Barwick (qv), won over his two Parliamentary officer brothers-in-law (Col Clobery and Col Redman) to General Monk’s side prior to Restoration, knighted on 20 June 1673, vice-chancellor of Duchy of Lancaster, chancellor of County Palatine of Durham, MP for Preston 1677 and 1679, apptd attorney to Kendal and Lancaster Corporations for surrender of their charters on 13-14 August 1684, marr 1st Mary Rigg (bur 11 June 1659), of Winchester, 2 sons (John and Charles, successively Constables of Lancaster Castle, died unm) and 1 dau (Margrett, born 5 March 1658 and bur 10 April 1659), marr 2nd Elizabeth, dau and heir of John Brathwaite, of Ambleside, 1 son (Braythwait, bapt 9 March 1668, succ to estates, but died unm) and 4 daus (Elizabeth bapt 24 June 1662, Margret bapt 11 August 1663, Catherine bapt 22 Sept 1664 (who marr William Upton, qv), and Abigall buried 3 April 1668), died at Ingmire, 15 October 1693 and buried at Sedbergh, 17 October (memorial in church) (SSR, 76; FiO, i, 155; AoH, 15); History of Parliament

Ousby (Ulnesby), Richard de (d.1362), (poss descended from Richard de Ulnesby in list of Lords of Ousby, who granted ten acres of his demesne land in Ousby to canons of Lanercost Priory in c.1200 x c.1230 (LC, 195; TD, 558; JD, 153)), rector of Ousby, collated to living on resignation of Robert de Welton in 1361, but died within a year, between making his will on 26 February 1362 and proved at Rose, 3 March 1362, his body to be buried in cemetery of Dominican Friars in Carlisle (to whom he also left 13s. 4d.), also left 13s. 4d. to each of his sisters Cecilia (with 20s. to each of her daughters, Margaret, Johanna and Mariota) and Enota [Agnes] (with 20s. to each of her sons John and Richard, and to each of John’s sons, John junr and William), together with residue of all his goods, also inter alia one small silver cross to Sir Richard de Denton (Test Karl, 40-42)

Owain, son of Urien (qv) and father of Duvenald/Dunmail (qv)

Owain of Strathclyde (ODNB), one of the princes who met Athelstan (qv) at Eamont Bridge in 927, father of Dunmail (qv)

Owen the Bald, (d.1018; ODNB), king of the Cumbrians, his son was Donald (Dyfnwal) (d.975) (qv)

Owen, Wilfred (1893-1918; ODNB), poet, visited Cumbria

Oxley, Robert Frederick (1909-1988), electronic engineer, born Antwerp of a family of Yorkshire merchants, educ Rotterdam and the Sorbonne, fluent in five languages, est Oxleys in Ulverston c.1946 and later moved to Priory Park, Bardsea, initially producing ceramic conductors for radio equipment (these items had previously been imported from Germany), concentrated on innovation and high quality production with design, production and testing all in house, Design Council Award 1975, exports to the USA in time resulted in the est of Oxleys Inc in 1976, world leaders in LED lighting, night vision lighting, EMI filters and high spec interconnecting components, in 1986 presented with the 100th world wide patent certificate, marr Ann in 1968, died Isle of Man 1988; www.ox;eygroup.com/about us/history; Robert Frederick Oxley, A Scientific Businessman, 1990; Northwestern Evening Mail obit 3 Aug 1988; Rod White, Furness Stories Behind the Stones