J

Jack, William Boyd (18xx-191x), MC, MD, medical practitioner, educ Glasgow medical school, physician and surgeon in partnership with William Baron Cockill (qv), firm of Cockill & Jack, Lindum Holme, Stricklandgate, Kendal, of Wood Lea, Kendal, served WWI, awarded MC, killed later in the war (of Laurel Mount on roll of honour in CRO, WDX 1538)

Jackson, David (17xx-18xx), organist, apptd organist of Kendal parish church of Holy Trinity in 1791, first musical festival held under his direction and that of Mr Meredith on 29 and 30 August 1792, second on 12, 13 and 14 September 1801, and last Grand Musical Festival on 17, 18, 19 and 20 October 1815 [details] (CW1, xvi, 195-197)

Jackson, David (1806-1845), BA, clergyman, born at Kendal, 8 January 1806, and bapt at Holy Trinity church, 28 May, son of David and Maria Jackson, educ Sedbergh School (entd August 1822, aged 16, left February 1824) and Queen’s College, Oxford (Scholar, BA 1830), ordained, curate of Barton Stacey, Hants, then vicar of Chacewater, Cornwall, where he died, 26 March 1845, aged 39 (SSR, 175)

Jackson, Edward, clergyman, vicar of Colton; his diary CW2 xl 1

Jackson, Edward (c.1734-1789), clergyman, incumbent of Rusland 1756, vicar of Colton 1762, vicar of Ulverston, contributed a few botanical notes to Withering’s Botanical Arrangement, also made a Herbarium, kept diary and accounts for year 1775 (transcribed by T E Casson from original belonging to his aunt, Margaret Ashburner and formerly his grandfather’s, Thomas Ashburner, of Pennington), which shows that he was a keen patron of the theatre, played cards, went hunting, etc, died aged 55 and buried at Kendal, 25 April 1789 (The Diary of Edward Jackson, Vicar of Colton, for the year 1775 by T E Casson, CW2, xl, 1-45)

Jackson, Edward (17xx-1849), clergyman, rector of Dufton from 1834 (succ Edward Heelis), died at the rectory, aged 75, and buried at Dufton, 22 June 1849

Jackson, Edwin (1857-1915), JP, Colonel, bank manager and county councillor, native of Keswick, spent some years in Australia, member of CWAAS from 1896 and member of council from 1911, died at Bank House, Carlisle, 24 December 1915, aged 58 (CW2, xvi, 308-309)

Jackson, George (fl.1945-1957), mayor of Kendal, alderman and first elected for Strickland ward in 1945, apptd honorary freeman of borough of Kendal, 2 July 1957

Jackson, I (18xx-18xx), headmaster of Windermere Grammar School 1848-1850

Jackson, James (16xx-1771), clergyman, rector of Stapleton 1714-1771, buried at Stapleton, 29 February 1771, aged 83

Jackson, James (fl.late 17thc), of Holme Cultrum; his diary 1650-1683 appears in CW2 xxi 96

Jackson, James (1835-1907), Methodist minister, former president of Primitive Methodist Communion, died at Nateby, 31 Decmber 1907, aged 72, and buried in Kirkby Stephen cemetery, 4 January 1908

Jackson, James ‘Steeple’ [1796-1878], clergyman, rock climber and writer of doggerel, b. Kendal (or Millom), son of Robert Jackson a grocer, survivor of Waterloo, claimed to be the first student at St Bees Theological College, at his first parish of Rivington repaired a weather vane atop a steeple, hence his nickname, lived there 33 years, marr Suzannah Thorpe 1835, then to Broughton in Furness, climbed Pillar rock twice and dubbed the ‘Pillarite Patriarch’ but died on the third attempt aged 82, somewhat boastful he clained to have been beneath the falls of Niagara, ascended Vesuvius during an eruption, climbed Snowden and Slieve Donard in Ireland and most of Lakeland fells; scafellhike.blogspot.com/2019/06/reverend…….; Neil Curry, Cumberland Coast,124

Jackson, John (1717-17xx), clergyman, born at Ulpha in 1717, educ St Bees School and Glasgow University, ordained deacon and licensed to Blawith chapel in 1748 and priest by bishop Peploe in 1749, licence from bishop’s chancellor for Kentmere Chapel in 1753, curate of Kentmere for three (?) years to 1761, when nominated to chapelry of Underbarrow, vicar of Underbarrow until resignation in 1766 (CRO, DRC/10)

Jackson, John (17xx-1836), innkeeper, keeper of King’s Arms Inn, Stricklandgate, Kendal, his wife Mrs Isabella Jackson is landlady pictured in Stirzaker’s painting of 1823, died aged 67 and  buried at Kendal, 4 December 1836; she died aged 63 and buried at Kendal, 13 April 1837

Jackson, John (fl.1840s) [poss c.1783-1868], schoolmaster and choir master, schoolmaster of Martindale to 1850 (at least), played bass fiddle himself, his choir largely augmented by apprentices of George Rigg (qv), who owned the Howtown bobbin mill in 1840s, [his (or an earlier John Jackson’s) music books survived in attic of John Wright in Martindale, currently with Dr Charles Bulman, now of Brigsteer, and were to be sung by the Gladly Solemn Sound West Gallery Choir led by Paul Guppy in June 2012 (CWH, 16.06.2012)], of Howtown, poss buried at Martindale, 29 June 1868, aged 85 [several other possible John Jacksons]; grandfather of Mrs Sarah Leck, of Coogarth (1885), who as Sarah Armstrong was married to John Leck on 15 April 1867 (Martindale Registers, 82, 103); William Armstrong, (29), husbandman, of Berrier, marr (11 December 1852, at Barton) Sarah Jackson, (23), of Martindale, dau of John Jackson, carrier – but is this his the schoolmaster’s daughter?

Jackson, John Arthur (1862-1937), politician and company director, born 30 November 1862, 2nd son of John Jackson, of Hensingham House, Whitehaven, educ St Peter’s School, York, marr (1892) – 4th dau of James Marshall Hill, of Greenock, 1 dau, senior partner of J & W Jackson, timber merchants, chairman Whitehaven Colliery Co, director Furness Railway Co, Conservative MP for Whitehaven 1910, winning seat in general election of January 1910, but lost it to Thomas Richardson (qv) for Labour in December 1910, died 25 November 1937, aged 74

Jackson, John Hubert (1930-2011), medical practitioner, born at Millom, son of Dr John Pritt Jackson, MB (also an old St Beghian), of Old Bank House, Holborn Hill, Millom, had a yr sister Agnes (retired doctor in Millom), educ at school in Millom, Seascale Preparatory School and St Bees School (School House 1944-49), nicknamed ‘boots’ for his flat feet and footwear, unhappy at school at first due to cruel treatment by a master and ran away, but returned, studied medicine at Dublin, houseman training at Whitehaven Hospital and Dovenby Hall, marr Mary, a nurse, 2 daus (Alexandra and Mary Therese), and moved to Bristol, setting up as a GP in practice with Dr Bernard, a great grandson of W G Grace, returned later to Whitehaven and Millom, but in poor health (suffered from chronic asthma from early age), moved into public health at Barrow, then into industrial health with Vickers shipbuilders, then with Rothmans in Essex and later with British Coal in Yorkshire, returned to Barrow to do DHSS work in relation to industrial injuries, lifelong passion for steam trains (early desire to be an engine driver), with strong interest in music, died at Barrow-in-Furness, aged 81, 27 August 2011 (Old St Beghian Newsletter, 182, July 2012)

Jackson, John Oswald, tutor, significant influence on the young Sir Wilfred Lawson (qv), later Congregational minister

Jackson, Leonard, (fl.early 19thc.), negro of Savannah, Georgia, an iron dresser at Whitehaven m. Bella Johnson at Moresby in 1803

Jackson, Margery (1722-1812), ‘the miser of Carlisle’; HR Hallaway, The Life and Times of Margery Jackson, the Miser of Carlisle in Jackson Library, Carlisle, portrait at Tullie House, as well several of her dresses; also see Croglin Watty.

Jackson, Philip, b.Barrow, educ Risedale school, captain of England rugby team; qqv Willie Horne and Bill Burgess

Jackson, Richard, headmaster of Sedbergh School 1648-1656 (SSR, 9)

Jackson, Richard (16xx-17xx), MA, clergyman and schoolmaster, matric Queen’s College, Oxford, 3 July 1679, aged 19, son of Thomas Jackson of Swithindale, Westmorland, ‘poor boy’, master of St Bees School 1686-1738, vicar of St Bees 1705-1738

Jackson, Stephen Hart (18xx-19xx), solicitor, clerk to Grange UDC, steward of manors of Plain Furness, Dalton, Ulverston, Hawkshead, Egton and Lowick, solicitor’s firm of Hart Jackson & Sons, 49 Market Street, Ulverston (1909), marr Brenda, 2 sons Stephen, junr, and Robert Bertrand, LLB (Cantab)

Jackson, Thomas (c.1756-1821/22), clergyman, rector of Grasmere 1806-1821, also curate of Langdale, marr Anne (buried at Grasmere, 14 May 1806), 2 sons (one educ for law succ as agent at Rydal Hall and William, qv), died in 1821/22, aged 65

Jackson, Thomas (fl.1829), MA, clergyman, curate of Kirkby Stephen (1829) during time of patron and vicar, Revd Thomas Pym Williamson, MA

Jackson, Thomas (17xx-18xx), agent, er son of Revd Thomas Jackson (qv), land agent to Lady le Fleming, Rydal Hall estate (1849) (letters to him from Roger Moser 1844- in CRO, WD/Ry/box 22/14), of Waterhead, Ambleside

Jackson, Thomas Watson (1839-1914), son of Rev Richard Jackson, curate of Wreay, educ Marlborough and Balliol, BA 1862, MA 1863, lecturer in classics, later tutor,  dean in 1869 and eventually vice-president of Worcester College from 1877, Oxon, director of the New Brewery Co.; his ancestry in Hudleston ( C ); mss Bodleian and Worcester Coll Lib; portrait by JJ Shannon (Worcester Coll)

Jackson, Thomas William (18xx-1959), clergyman, died in September 1959 (memorial window of The Last Supper in north aisle of St Michael’s church, Workington)

Jackson, Tom (Thomas), trooper under Cromwell, gave his name to a field near the racecourse at Carlisle; CWAAS 1876, p.350

Jackson, William (c.1641-1709), clergyman, vicar of Beetham for nearly 40 years (‘pastor fidelissimus’), died aged 68 and buried at Beetham, 14 September 1709

Jackson, William (1672-17xx), clergyman, bapt at Bampton, 12 May 1672, son of William Jackson, of Over Knipe, Bampton, nominated to curacy of Longsleddale by inhabitants, 11 May 1695 (CRO, DRC/10), but bapt 12 October 1673 at Bampton acc to PR (CRO, WPR 15/1), marr (2 November 1693 at Longsleddale) Thomasin, dau of Isaac Lickbarrow, then gone ?

Jackson, William (1792-1878), DD, JP, clergyman and college head, born in 1792, yr son of Revd Thomas Jackson (qv), rector of Lowther 1828-1878, with Askham Hall given by Lord Lonsdale to serve as the rectory, also vicar of Penrith 1833-1841, provost of The Queen’s College, Oxford 1862-1878, canon, archdeacon and chancellor of Carlisle, marr Julia Eliza (buried at Lowther, 12 March 1873, aged 79), dau of Mr Crump (who built Allan Bank, Grasmere), 4 daus (2 died young, one marr John H Crump, and one marr J R Magrath, qv), died aged 85 and buried at Lowther, 18 September 1878

Jackson, William (1821-1xxx), champion wrestler, of Kinniside (born at Swinside End, 1 May 1822) (C&CM, 409-10)

Jackson, William (1823-1890), FSA, JP, antiquary, born in Barkstone, Lincs, in 1823, son of Samuel Jackson, and a Cumbrian mother, who settled in Whitehaven and died there in 1829, educ. St Bees School, and Bernard Gilpin’s GS, Houghton-le-Spring, resided at Aspatria and Newton Reigny before settling at Fleatham House, St Bees, regular attender at Cumberland petty and quarter sessions from 1875 until he went to live on continent in 1882, great friend of Revd T Lees and Chancellor R S Ferguson, elected FSA 1878 and joint local secretary for Cumberland, one of founders of CWAAS, Vice-President, 1882, edited Memoirs of Dr Richard Gilpin, of Scaleby Castle in Cumberland, etc. (Extra Series, II, 1879), author of Papers and Pedigrees mainly relating to Cumberland and Westmorland, 2 vols, edited by Mrs B Jackson (Extra Series, V & VI, 1892), contributed many articles to Transactions, collector of books, prints, autographs, etc., which he bequeathed to the projected new Library at Tullie House, Carlisle (Jackson Library), married 3 times (surviving wife, a member since 1877, living in Grasmere, later at Southport, then East Grinstead and latterly at Harewood House, Tunbridge Wells, where she died by September 1916), 2 sons and 1 dau, died at Euston Hotel, London, 28 October 1890 (CW1, xi, 466-69); CW1 xi 466-69

Jackson, William Walrond (18xx-19xx), DD, MA, clergyman and college head, educ Balliol College, Oxford (1st cl Mod 1858, BA (2nd cl Lit Hum) 1860, MA 1863, BD and DD 1892), d 1866 and p 1869 (Ox), fellow and tutor of Exeter College, Oxford 1863-1887 and rector 1887-1913, junior proc Oxford 1872-1873, select preacher 1880-1882 and 1903-1904, censor of non-coll students 1883-1887, of Brunt How, Loughrigg, Ambleside (1894, 1897), later of Singleton Park, near Kendal (1905, 1906, 1910, 1912, 1914) [after death of James Thompson in 1895?; J Russell King in occupation by 1921], but also of 18 Bardwell Road, Oxford (1914)

Jaggling Anas’, a fugitive from Hartley Castle, Kirkby Stephen, who was drowned trying to cross the river near ‘Frank’s Bridge’, still encumbered by his chains; his tale is a local ghost story

James I (1566-1625; ODNB), King of England, and James VI of Scotland, paid his first visit to Scotland since his accession to English throne in 1603 and returned south over the west march, with earl of Cumberland being responsible for entertaining him first at Carlisle Castle on 4-6 August 1617, bishop Snoden (qv) preached before him, then he was escorted to Brougham Castle, where he spent two nights, with a retinue of some 800 people, at vast expense to Cumberland (probably little short of £1,200), who laid on a ‘great feast’ with exotic food such as peachicks and quails, as well as an elaborate masque, in which singers, dancers and musicians united to entertain and praise the king, then escorted him at least as far as Kendal (R T Spence (1991), A Royal Progress in the North: James I at Carlisle Castle and the feast of Brougham, August 1617, NH, 27, 41-89; Henry Summerson, Brougham Castle, Cumbria (1998), 46-49)

James, Charles Ashton (1876-1960), JP, High Sheriff of Cumberland 1931

James, Hugh (16xx-1695), steward to Col James Grahme at Levens Hall, Commissioner in Excise (temp Privy Purse), possibly from a James family of or near Carlisle, working for Grahme from at least 1680, superintending building works at Bagshot Park, took 3-yr lease on house in Berkeley Street in Piccadilly 1689, keeping accounts at Levens from 1689 (letters 1692-95), died of pleurisy, buried at Heversham, 8 May 1695 (‘ATiWH’)

James, Hugh (1771-1817), MD, physician and surgeon, bapt at St Bees, 4 July 1771, son of Revd John James (qv), returned to Whitehaven to set up in practice as surgeon in 1796, but became ill in 1798 with severe head pains and impaired eyesight (prob iridocyclitis or anterior uveitis), which despite some improvement meant he could no longer practise as surgeon, so retrained as physician at Edinburgh (qual 1803), set up practice in Carlisle, but became completely blind in 1806, yet still continued to practise successfully, gained reputation as ‘the blind physician of Carlisle’, one of his cough remedies appeared posthumously in Jackson’s Oxford Journal for December 1823, died from typhus fever, 20 September 1817, aged 45, and buried in Arthuret churchyard (MI in Carlisle Cathedral) 

James, Ifor (1931-2004), international horn player, born Carlisle, son of Bill James and his wife Ena Mitchell (qv), his father a keen cornet player in the award winning St Stephen’s brass band and his mother a professional singer, played brass instruments from the age of four and was paid in chocolate bars from the age of seven (thus subverting labour laws), played soccer for Carlisle United from 16-21, scholarship Royal Academy of Music for the horn, played for the Halle and the Royal Liverpool Phil, ran the Ifor James horn quartet and played later for the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, professor of horn successively at the Royal Academy of Music, Manchester, Aberdeen and Freiburg, sixty professional players trained by him, had a house in Norway; hornsociety.org, Obit Guardian 28 Mar 2005, also see The Times

James, Ivor (1931-2004), horn player, b. Carlisle son of Ena Mitchell (qv), 1st horn of the English Chamber Orchestra and Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, professor at the Royal Northern college of music and conductor of Besses o’th’ Barn Brass Band (est 1818)

James, John (1729-1785), MA, DD, clergyman and schoolmaster, yr son of Thomas James, of Thornbarrow, Plumpton, educ Queen’s College, Oxford (MA, DD), Headmaster of St Bees School 1755-1773, Vicar of Kirkoswald 1771-1774, Rector of Arthuret and of Kirkandrews-on-Esk 1782-1785, where he is buried, aged 56, 4 sons (Thomas (bapt at St Bees, 31 July 1758, d.1794, aged 36), John (qv), William (bapt 15 June 1765) and Hugh (qv)) and 2 daus (Elizabeth (bapt 6 April 1762) and Mary (bapt 13 April 1768))

James, John (1760-1786), clergyman, bapt at St Bees, 25 March 1760, son of Revd John James (qv), whom he succ as rector of Arthuret in 1785, but died in 1786, aged 26

James, Ruth Lancaster (fl.late 19thc-early 20thc), major benefactress, built hospital in her name in Alston in 1904

James, Willemina Martha (1845-1932) (Austin Clare pseud), in the Red Cross in 1st WW, published prolifically including North and South of the Border (xxxx  ), Davie Armstrong: A Story of the Fells (1871), A Child of the Menhir (1882); Jane (V.) Platt, Subscribing to Faith: The Anglican Parish Magazine 1859-1929, 2015

James, William (1791-1861), DL, JP, MA, son of William Evans James (1764-1795), descended from Thomas James, of Culgaith (d.1668), purchased Barrock Park, Carlisle in 1813, MP for Carlisle 1820-1826 and 1831-1834 and for East Cumberland 1836-1847, Chairman of Carlisle Canal Co, High Sheriff of Cumberland 1827, owner of large estates in Jamaica

Jameson, Brendan (c.1945-2012), local council leader, born in Kendal, educ Kendal Grammar School, worked at K Shoes, self-employed contract cleaner for more than 27 years, entered local politics on election to South Lakeland District Council on 6 May 1999, became leader of Liberal Democrat group in 2002, vice-chairman of Licensing and Planning 2003-04 and chairman 2004-06, Leader of South Lakeland District Council from 2006, Cumbria County Councillor (Lib Dem) for Kendal Strickland and Fell from 2009, and Kendal Town Councillor for Kirkland from May 2010, strongly motivated by desire to help local community and make it more aware of what it got for its money in services provided, esp enthusiastic about improving recycling in South Lakeland area, finding more affordable homes for local people, and ensuring Cumbria’s voice was heard more in London, keen to improve working relationships with other local authorities in North West, chairman of Cumbria 2012 Steering Group (formed to maximise opportunities for people of Cumbria with 2012 London Olympics and secured Olympic Torch’s passage through South Lakeland in June), also instrumental in helping to bring new GSK factory to Ulverston immediately prior to his death, enthusiast for Kendal’s history, co-author (with Derek Kingwell) of Kendal Pubs: A Potted History (WG, 1998), brother of Pat and Peter, partner of Julie Dawson, 1 dau (Shelley), died suddenly of heart attack at home in Vicarage Drive, Kendal, 19 March 2012, aged 66, and cremated after service at Kendal Parish Church, 30 March (WG, 22.03.2012)

Jameson, William (1837-1888), wrestler and publican, Penrith

Jamieson, Robert, William and George, wrestlers, took all the prizes at Brampton (mid 19thc.)

Jay, Eileen (19xx-2017), nee Matthew, author, widow of Raymond Jay, architect (d.198x), Trustee of Armitt Trust, Ambleside, author, of Colthouse, later moved to Nantwich, died 6 April 2017 and cremated at Vale Royal crematorium, Northwich, 21 April (WG, 20.04.2017).

Jefferies, Edward (18xx-1893), clergyman, curate of Grasmere 1840-1863 and rector 1863-1878, resigning, died in 1893

Jefferson, Arthur Stanley, see Stan Laurel

Jefferson family, wine merchants, Whitehaven; their building is preserved as The Rum Story, Whitehaven; see Henry, Robert and others below

Jefferson of West Ward, family; CW2 xlii 103

Jefferson, Francis ‘Frank’ Arthur (1921-1982) VC, served in 2nd WW, Ulverston

Jefferson, Henry (1750-1827), rum merchant, Whitehaven

Jefferson, Henry (1800-1877), JP, yr son of Henry Jefferson (d.1827) and his wife Ann Tweedie (d.1820), and grandson of Robert Jefferson (1704-1779), a native of Aikton and captain of ship in Virginia trade, and yr brother of Robert Jefferson, JP (d.1848), of Springfield, Bigrigg and Keekle Grove, marr (182x) Ann (died 21 July 1854, aged 55), son (Robert, qv), built Rothersyke, Egremont, JP Cumberland, died 19 July 1877 and buried at St Bees (memorial brass in St Bees Priory church)

Jefferson, Henry (1823-1896), DL, JP, born 16 August 1823, er son of Robert Jefferson, JP (d.1848), of Springfield, Bigrigg, and Keekle Grove, and his wife Elizabeth Brown (d.1851),  marr 1st (27 August 1856) Mary (d.1861), 2nd dau of Joseph Harris, JP (qv), of Greysouthen, Cockermouth, 2 sons (Robert (qv) and Joseph Hugh (qv)) and 2 daus (Mary Cowperthwaite, wife of Joseph Dickinson (qv), and Elizabeth (d.unm.1923)), marr 2nd (7 September 1864) Mary Watts, eldest dau of James Gordon, JP, of Dumfries, 2 sons (Henry Watts (1865-1902) and Gordon (1868-1915)), became chairman of Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway Company by 1873 (succ A B Steward, qv) until 1878 when it was jointly acquired by Furness and London & North-Western Companies, High Sheriff of Cumberland 1890, died in 1896

Jefferson, Jacob (1720-1782), MA, DD, clergyman, son of Thomas Jefferson, of Rosley, fellow of the Queen’s College, Oxford 1756, vicar of Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight 1768-1782

Jefferson, Joseph Hugh (1859-1920), JP, born 2 October 1859, 2nd son of Henry Jefferson (qv), of Springfield, formerly Captain, Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry, JP Cumberland, marr (25 July 1888) Elizabeth Ann, dau of Thomas Dixon, JP (qv), of Rheda, 2 daus, of Hundith Hill, Cockermouth, died 5 January 1920; widow living at Castlegate House, Cockermouth (1950)

Jefferson, Robert (17xx-18xx), DD, er son of Robert Jefferson, of Stoneraise, and Alice (nee Nicholson), fellow of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, King’s Preacher at Whitehall (in first Clergy List, 1817), private chaplain to Duke of Cambridge, later rector of South Kilvington, Thirsk, Yorks (to 1834?); his yr brother, Revd Francis Jefferson, was fellow of Peterhouse, Cambridge; their sister Margaret marr Christopher Parker (qv) as his 2nd wife (CW1, xvi, 116; GM)

Jefferson, Robert (fl.early 19thc.), wine and spirits merchant Whitehaven, bought plantations and slaves in 1832; ? = below

Jefferson, Robert (1826-18xx), DL, JP, son of Henry Jefferson (qv), succ father at Rothersyke, Egremont in 1877, but died unmarried

Jefferson, Robert (1857-1942), JP, born 1857, eldest son of Henry Jefferson (qv), of Springfield, educ Harrow, formerly Captain and Hon Major, Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry, President of Hound Trailing Association (formed in 1906), marr (1894) Constance (died 10 November 1926), dau of James Lumb, DL (qv), of Homewood, 2 sons (Henry (b.1896), of Howman, St Bees, and Robert James (b.1900)) and 1 dau (Constance Mary (b.1897), wife of Captain Thomas Leonard Wilson, 3rd Border Regt, 4th son of Col C W Wilson, of Rigmaden, qv), died 31 May 1942

Jefferson, Samuel (fl.1833-46), printer, publisher, bookseller and historian, in Cockermouth and Carlisle, advertised circulating library, married Mary Porthouse in 1836 in Wigton, published The History and Antiquities of Carlisle (1838), illustrated by WH Nutter q.v., in 1843 he opened a short lived school in Dalston, left Carlisle and died in Islington, London; Perriam CN 2 October 2009

Jefferson, Roseanne Hart, formerly Bigg, nee Pridham (c.1830-1909), newspaper proprietor, born at Clyst St Mary’s, near Exeter, Devon, dau of a gentleman, marr 1st (1852, at Carlisle) John Stanyan Bigg (qv), 3 sons (born c.1858 civil engineer, b.c.1860 solicitor, and Alfred P (b.c.1864 and d.1903) printer), following her husband’s sudden death in 1865 she became owner of weekly newspaper Soulby’s Ulverston Advertiser and General Intelligencer and remained sole proprietor until 1897, with newspaper continuing to be printed by R H Jefferson and Sons Ltd until 190x [but being printed and published by proprietors, Paton and Parker Limited, of Ramsden Square, Barrow, by 1906 and continued until 6 August 1914], no time for a political tradition to be established before Bigg’s death, not a sleeping proprietor but did not edit her newspaper (unclear at times who did), invested in new machinery in 1885, marr 2nd (1874) Thomas Jefferson (died May 1884), 67-year-old merchant, poet and widower, died at 9 Canal Street, Ulverston, 17 June 1909, aged 79, buried at Holy Trinity, Ulverston (CW3, ii, 277-300)

Jefferson, Samuel (1808-1846; ODNB), topographer, author of The History and Antiquities of Carlisle: with an account of the Castles, Gentleman’s Seats, and Antiquities, in the vicinity; and Biographical Memoirs of Eminent Men connected with the locality (Carlisle, 1838)

Jefferson, William (18xx-19xx), BA, clergyman, curate of Broughton-in-Furness, received illuminated address (by H Gaythorpe) of regret at his leaving Broughton, August 1893, rector of Threlkeld

Jefferys, Thomas (c.1719-1771; ODNB), London engraver, cartographer and publisher, Geographer to King George III 1760, produced newly surveyed county maps, including Westmorland (surveyed 1768 and engraved 1770), Yorkshire (1772) and Cumberland (1774, see Thomas Donald), but went bankrupt in 1766 and his business taken over by William Faden (1749-1836;ODNB), engraver and cartographer, who republished Westmorland map in 1800

Jenkins, Michael (19xx-2011), headmaster of St Anne’s School, Windermere

Jenkinson, Henry Irwin (18xx-189x), merchant, commission agent in High Street, Keswick (1873), coal, lime and brick merchant, and author of Practical Guides, of The Plosh (1883), instigated scheme for Fitz Recreation Ground with letter in Keswick Guardian and other papers in about 1879, assisted by John Fisher Crosthwaite (qv), and enlisted co-operation of resident gentry and inhabitants, as well as Hewetson family resident in south, laid out to designs of Mr Fletcher, landscape gardener, of London (Bulmer, 1883, 587-88), opened in 1887; bronze medallion portrait set on gate to Fitz Park (1894) opposite Keswick museum

Jenner, Harry DSM (d.1941), chief engine room artificer, died in bombing raid at Barrow docks, standing beside HMS Unbending which was under construction and due to be launched soon afterwards in May 1941; Rod White, Stories Behind the Stones website

Jennings, Andrew (1943-2022), journalist, born Kirkcaldy son of a headmaster, he was a grandson of a player in Clapton Orient FC, exposed corruption at Scotland Yard, FIFA and at the Olympics, worked for the Times and the BBC, marr Janeen Weir (d.1974) and later his partner was Clare Sambrook, published Scotland Yard’s Cocaine Corruption (1989), Money and Drugs in the Modern Olympics (1992), Foul ! The Secret World of FIFA Bribes (2006), tribute Jens Sejer Andersen who described him as ‘incomparable’, obit Times 11 Jan 2022, obit Guardian

Jennings, F. Humphrey Sinkler (1907-1950), film maker and a founder of Mass Observation, his film Cumberland Story (1947) shows the work of Whitehaven miners in tunnels under the Solway, also provided a dramatic reconstruction of the Ladypit disaster of 1837 where 36 miners drowned, he died in a fall from cliffs on Poros in Greece while scouting locations

Jennings, John Sr (fl.1828-1874), brewer, son of William Jennings a maltster, began brewing at Lorton and moved to Cockermouth in 1874, establishing the Castle brewery

Jennings, Thomas, mayor of Kendal 1668-1669

Jennings, Thomas (1836-c.1900), antiquary, born in 1836, educ Blue Coat school, Kendal, apprenticed to be a tailor, later became a postman, discovered ‘Ring o’ Bells’ Inn sign (painted for the Kendal pub by Jack Fothergill) at Heversham Hall in 1862, having been sold in 1830 to Obadiah Burrow of the Eagle and Child at Heversham and restored it to its original position, made paper copy of Orders agreed by Society of Ringers [painted on belfry wall in 1788 and painted on canvas in 1833] in 1860 and printed in 1894, collected material on history of Kendal, providing foundations for J F Curwen’s Kirkbie-Kendall (1900), lived down lane behind Yard 113 Highgate (KK, 108, 177, 257), also made transcript of Kirkby Lonsdale parish registers (about 30,000 entries) for Edward Conder (qv) (CW2, v, 242)

Jennings, TH and H, itinerant photographers; CWAAS, 2017, 181

Jennings, William (c.1783-c.1833), corn merchant and grocer, of Highgate, Kendal, stoutest man ever known in Kendal, promoter of New Union Building Society and its secretary 1825- and architect (designed cottages in Jennings Yard), built Blue Buildings (Union Street, Cross Street, Chapel Row, Strickland Place and Caroline Street) in 1820s, doctrinal controversialist, 1 son and 2 daus, buried in Market Place chapel yard, 3 January 1833, aged 51 (ONK, 395-397, 488; CW2, lxxxii, 183-190; DKK, 87-88, 91-94)

Jennings, William (1812-1829), last person to be given a public execution in Westmorland, convicted at Appleby Assizes on charge of aggravated rape of Agnes Cornthwaite (servant of William Atkinson, of Hay Close, Kendal, returning home near Kendal Parks on night of 15 February 1829), and sentenced to death, while co-defendant, Ralph Fisher, 16, acquitted after admitting King’s evidence, March 1829, hanged at Appleby probably at Gallows Hill, aged 17, he arrived at his execution place seated on his coffin and eating oranges; Agnes Lindsay, who was also assaulted that night, died 21 May 1903 (LC, 76; ballad in CRO, WDY 320);

Jennings, Revd William (18xx-19xx), MA, clergyman, educ Hatfield College, Durham (late Barry Scholar, Th Exhib and Hebr Pri, Th Pri and LTh (2nd cl) 1875, BA 1876, MA 1879), d 1876 and p 1877 (Man), Curate of Weaste, Lancs 1876-1879, Col Chaplain and Inc of St John’s Cathedral, Hong Kong 1879-1891, Vicar of Beedon, Berkshire 1891-1894, Rector of Grasmere 1894-1903, Rector of Drumtochty, Kincardine 1910-1911, Lic to Preach, Dio Carlisle 1905-1909 and 1911, retired to The Plains, Wetheral, Carlisle, author of book on Confucian Analects and The Dramatic Poem of Job: A close, metrical translation with explanatory notes (c.1911) (notebook in CRO, WD/K/266, 272)

Jessett, Stewart (fl.1970s), double bass player in Gateway Jazz Band; see Potts

Jobson, C H (1xxx-19xx), BA, clergyman, resigned as rector of Arthuret as from 12 November 1962

Jocelin of Furness (fl.1199-1214), Cistercian monk and hagiographer, described as ‘monk of Furness’ [Furness Abbey], known only through his lives of four saints composed in late 12th and early 13th century, three of whom have associations with southern Scotland, Man and northern Ireland, Vita sancti Kentigerni episcopi (dedicated to Jocelin, bishop of Glasgow, 1175-1199), Vita sancti Patricii episcopi (at request of John de Courcy, ruler of Anglo-Norman Ulster, Malachy, bishop of Down and Thomas, archbishop of Armagh, 1180-1201), Vita sancti Waldevi abbatis (dedicated to William the Lion, king of Scots, 1207-1214), and Vita et translatio sancte Helene regine (at request of ‘religious persons who dedicate themselves to obedience to Christ under the yoke of the rule and the patronage of saint Helen’, mother of Emperor Constantine, of uncertain date) (research project of Dr Clare Downham); CW1 iii 201

John, Abbot of Calder, succ Abbot David, occ.1198 (MoN, 319)

John (d.1266) of Lastingham, Prior of St Bees c.1243-c.1254, possibly prior when the leat from Rottington to Peck Mill was built (Benedict of Rottington’s charter dated c.1240x1265), promoted to Prior of St Mary’s York in c.1254, where he died  in 1266, ‘a man of most excellent religion’ (Chron St Mary’s)

John, Prior of Conishead, occ.1264, dead or resigned by 1278 (agreement with William De Lancaster concerning advowson of St Leonard’s Hospital, Kendal, 21 September 1264 (CW2, xviii, 240)

John o’t’ Forge, farmer Langdale, dau marr a son of Lanty Slee (qv)

John (John of Lancaster), Duke of Bedford (1389-1435;ODNB), KG, KB, Regent of France, Constable of England, and prince, born 20 June 1389, 3rd son of Henry Bolingbroke, later King Henry IV, by his 1st wife Mary (d.1394), dau and coheir of Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford, created Earl of Kendal and Duke of Bedford for life (in Parliament held at Leicester, 16 May 1414), created Earl of Richmond on 24 November 1414, ‘with reversion of Castle, Earldom, Honour and Lordship of Richmond, after death of Ralph Nevill, Earl of Westmorland [died 1425], to him and his heirs male’, titles surrendered and regranted to him and his heirs male on 8 July 1433, apptd Guardian of England on 12 August 1415 and again on 25 July 1417 when his brother Henry V was in France, and Protector of the Kingdom of England on 5 December 1422, and Regent of France in September 1422, crowned his nephew Henry VI as king of France at Paris on 7 September 1432, marr 1st (June 1423, at Troyes) Anne (died in childbirth at Paris, 14 November 1432), dau of Jean, Duke of Burgundy, marr 2nd (20 April 1433, at Therouenne) Jacquette (who marr 2nd (secretly in 1436) Sir Richard Widville, later Earl Rivers (exec 1469), dau (Elizabeth, later Queen of Edward IV) and died 30 May 1472), dau of Pierre de Luxembourg, died in Rouen Castle, 14 September 1435, aged 46, and buried in Rouen Cathedral (for lands in barony of Kendal, see RK, i, 43, 44, 45, 47, 48, 50-52, 55, 148, 189, 240; ii, 10, 45-47, 70-73, 256, 423; GEC, II, 70-72)

Johnby family, gave their name to Johnby Hall where they lived (and in the area) back to the 13thc.; CW1 xxxii 85-103; CWAAS newsletter Spring 2022, 99, 5

Johnson, Audrey (1919-2005), artist, born at Barrow-in-Furness in 1919, studied at Harris College of Art, Preston, worked as scenic artist for MGM films, fabric designer, mural painter and furniture decorator, marr (1949) Claude Harrison (qv), 1 son Tobias, returned to north with husband in 1949/50, first to Ambleside, then at Easedale House, Grasmere from 1959, where she painted what interested her most, primarily wild flowers and small botanically accurate paintings, regular exhibitor at RA, two-man exhibitions in London and Preston, Kendal Art Society (resigned in 1978), Lake Artists Society, author of books on and collector of antique dolls and doll’s houses, moved to Cartmel Fell in 1979, died in 2005

Johnson, David (fl.1840), coach driver and local ‘character’, involved in road accident with William Wordsworth and his son John in 1840 when their one-horse gig was struck by his mail coach two or three miles outside Keswick, flinging Wordsworths, horse, gig, and part of a wall into a field, recounted tale years later of how he had ‘spilt the Wadsworths’

Johnson, Donald McIntosh (1903-1978), politician and general practitioner, born 17 February 1903, Lancashire family, educ Cheltenham College, Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (1st class degree in medicine), and St Bartholomew’s Hospital (scholarship), qualified 1926, Conservative MP for Carlisle 1955-1964 (as Independent Conservative from 23 January until October 1964), died 5 November 1978

Johnson, Edward (18xx-1890), JP, landowner, from Haworth, Yorks, heir of R W Buckley (qv), whose sister Sarah Martha (d. 1890), dau of Samuel Buckley, he married in 184x, 5 sons (Edward R (n.d.), Thomas Wilson (born 24 July 1851, died 11 March 1915, aged 64, of Reston Hall, and buried 15 March), Charles Frederick (born 19 March 1853, who marr Alice Maud (born 13 October 1856, died at Southport, 19 November 1947, aged 91, and buried at Staveley, 22 November), with 1 son (Sidney, solicitor, whose son Peter inherited Middle Reston and Reston estate, put up for sale by Peter’s son, Simon Johnson), of Reston Hall, died 1 March 1916, aged 62, and buried 4 March), Richard W (n.d.), and John L (n.d.)) and 3 daus (Mary E (n.d.), Isabella (born February 1863, died 9 January 1932, aged 69, and buried 12 January) and Louisa Josephine (died 14 November 1945, aged 75, and buried at Staveley, 17 November), wife of William Henry Challiner (buried at Staveley, 5 June 1924, aged 68), from Liverpool, with son W Henry, who was killed in action in 1916, and dau Louisa (Queenie)), first settled in a large property in Crosby Garrett, where their first three children were born, had moved via Whitchurch, Salop in 1854, later of Southport and of Devonshire Road, Princes Park, Liverpool (in 1861) by time of Richard Buckley’s death in 1875, where their last four children were born, moved into The Abbey, Kendal  c.1880 after death of Daniel Harrison (qv), also inherited Prospect Villa estate at Crosby Garrett from his uncle, William Richardson [poss=qv d.1883], original Westmorland County Councillor for Staveley ward from 1889, member of Sanitary Committee, chairman of school committee, active supporter of Staveley section (F Company, largest in region with 72 members in 1887) of Kendal Rifle Volunteers (estab in 1859), Fire Brigade and Institute, organised Queen Victoria’s Jubilee celebrations in Staveley in 1887 (WG, 25.06.1887), Thirlmere Aqueduct ran through his Reston estate, died at Staveley, 8 March 1890 [but not buried there], and estate broken up (will dated 25 January 1889, proved 2 May 1890), The Abbey not wanted by family and so put up for sale and bought by Kendal Board of Guardians for an orphanage in 1900, Reston and Sunny Brow going to Charles and Louisa; the Challiners built new larger residence at Middle Reston, completed in 1901 (CRO, WDX 572; LVTT, 15, 101)

Johnson family of Castlestead, their ancestor William Johnson (d.1800) returned from India and built the house

Johnson, Maj Gen Sir George Frederick J., KCVO CB CBE DSO DL BA, high sheriff 1966, of the Castlesteads family

Johnson, George Holden (c.1796-1834), schoolmaster, master of Boys National School, Beast Banks, Kendal, marr Sophia, son (George Holden, buried at Kendal, 31 August 1833, aged 7), buried at Kendal, 24 January 1834, aged 37

Johnson, George J., J.P. of Brampton; plaque on Moot Hall

Johnson, Henry (c.1760-1817), clergyman, aged 30 at his marriage in 1791, d (a Literate) and licensed (18 August 1782) and p (27 July 1783), curate of Martindale from 1782 until his death in 1817, marr (9 June 1791, at Barton) Mary Robinson (buried 1 October 1817, aged 50; poss dau of William Robinson, of Low Winder, bapt 9 September 1767), 4 sons (William, bapt 24 August 1791, of Howtown, bur 15 October 1862, aged 71; Isaac, bapt 3 March 1799 and bur 28 May 1816; John, bapt 25 May 1803 and bur 15 November 1803; and George, bapt 22 November 1807) and 4 daus ( Dorothy, bapt 18 June 1794; Catharine, bapt 20 December 1795; Anne, bapt 15 March 1801; and Mary, bapt 28 June 1804), of How, buried in Martindale churchyard, 19/29 June 1817, aged 58, by John Thompson, Minister of Patterdale (Martindale Registers, 46, 90-91)

Johnson, Henry (1824-1897), came to Kendal as a young man in 1846, became a successful cattle dealer, made his own bank notes, respected and revered for his word; Cumbrian Characters ex Abbot Hall 1968 (74)

Johnson, John Preston (1860-1916), concert promoter and cattle dealer, first love for piano, then concertina, had engagements all over country, played at command performance for Princess Mary of Teck, promoted concerts in St George’s Hall, Kendal by celebrities of the day (incl Clara Butt), received gold watch from his concert staff on occasion of his 75th concert in the town from hands of Mayor of Kendal in March 1911, attended annual sheep sales at Penrith for 40 years (where he was presented with gold chain by his friends), well respected in community and friend of all aspiring musicians, known as J P, marr, 1 son (also J P), of East Bank, Scalthwaiterigg, Kendal, died in December 1916, aged 56, and buried in Parkside cemetery, 19 December (MOK, 41-44)

Johnson, Kenneth Langstreth (Ken) (1925-2015), FRS, FREng, FIMechE, PhD, MA, MSc (Tech), academic engineer, born at Barrow-in-Furness, 19 March 1925, son of Frank Herbert Johnson and his wife Ellen Howarth (nee Langstreth), educ Barrow Grammar School, where his father was a teacher, keen athlete and rugby player, enthusiastic fell-walker and climber, later in life buying a cottage in Ravenglass as a base to explore the Lake District, interviewed while still at school in 1941 by C P Snow, then director of technical personnel at the Ministry of Labour, as a result of which he was awarded a state scholarship to study mechanical engineering at the University of Manchester, where he followed an accelerated course graduating in 1944, MSc (Tech) 1947, immediately sent to work on aircraft propellers at the Rotol engineering plant in Gloucestershire, a company which designed and manufactured most of the aeroplane propellers in active service, as power of Spitfire engine increased from year to year, so propeller had to be adapted with an increasing number of blades, formative experience with Rotol instilling in him his love of skilled experimental work and detailed analysis, returned to Manchester in 1949 as assistant lecturer in engineering at Manchester College of Technology 1949-1954, doing PhD (1954, supervised by H Wright Baker) on vibration problems in propeller assemblies, becoming convinced that the damping arose principally by slip at clamped joints, which led directly to his lifelong interest in contact mechanics, sang in Halle Choir under Barbirolli in tour of countryas part of Festival of Britain in 1951 and at re-opening of Free Trade Hall, marr (11 September 1954 at St Barnabas Church, Tuffley, Gloucester) Dorothy Rosemary Watkins, 1 son (Andrew) and 2 daus (Marian and Hilary), moved to Cambridge in 1954 on his appointment as Demonstrator in Engineering, with Alan Percival, head of Department of Engineering Mechanics Group, arranging for him to teach six hours per week for Jesus College, elected a Fellow in 1957, Lecturer then Reader in Engineering 1954-1977, Professor of Engineering, Cambridge University 1977-1992, specific focus of his research was ‘rolling contact’ which can cause surface cracking, collaborated with British Rail in 1970s and 1980s on growth of fatigue cracks caused by extreme stresses where wheels contact the rails, eventually leading to rail breakage, took undergraduate teaching very seriously, served on Jesus College Council, wrote a paper in 1971 on the relation between molecular adhesion and tangential forces of friction, which foreshadowed new instrument known in 1992 as the ‘atomic force microscope’, becoming known as the ‘JKR theory’, elected FRS in 1982 and Fellow of Royal Academy of Engineering 1987, Hon FUMIST 1993, Tribology Trust Gold Medal, IMechE 1985, ASME Mayo D Hersey Award 1991, William Prager Medal, Society of Engineering Science, 1999, Queen’s Medal of the Royal Society 2003, and Timoshenko Medal of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers 2006, author of Contact Mechanics (1985), a man of great modesty and humility, with a dry wit and self-deprecating humour, of 1 New Square, Cambridge, died 21 September 2015, aged 90 (Jesus College Annual Report 2016, 134-135)

Johnson, opticians, 53, Castle St, Carlisle, had a large pair of spectacles in the window and the number 53 displayed in several sizes; see Stephen France

Johnson, Priscilla, sister in law of George Head Head (qv), lived Beech House, Rickerby, organised support for the Greek survivors of the Turkish massacre, buried Stanwix, tombstone carved Eric Gill

Johnson, Sir Robert Arthur KBE MA (1874-1938), deputy master of the Mint, of the Castlesteads family

Johnson, Rowland (16xx-1711), schoolmaster, of Cartmel, admitted schoolmaster, 4 March 1666/67, ordained deacon in September 1671, continued Reader, parish clerk and schoolmaster till 5 November 1711, buried at Cartmel, 27 December 1711 (CRO, WPR 89/1/4)

Johnson, Samuel (aka ‘Dr’ Johnson) (1709-1784; ODNB), writer, great figure of the 18thc., famous for his pithy remarks and numerous publications notably his English Dictionary, having been dubbed ‘Dr’ Johnson in time was actually honoured with this degree, visited Whitehaven in 1772 en route to Scotland with his eventual biographer James Boswell (qv)

Johnson, Susan (nee Symonds) (19xx-xxxx), conservationist, dau of Revd H H Symonds

Johnson, William (1784-1864; ODNB), BD, schoolteacher and clergyman, born in Cumberland, curate to Thomas Jackson (qv) at Grasmere, coming as schoolmaster before death of old curate Rowlandson, began to officiate in 1810, but noticed by Dr Andrew Bell (ODNB), author of the Madras system of education and friend of Southey in Keswick, when visiting Wordsworth in September 1811, and so impressed by his running of school that he offered him, through Wordsworth, appointment at new model school in London in January 1812, apptd rector of St Clement, Eastcheap, with St Martin Orgar on 19 October 1820, marr (1822) Mary, dau of Robert Tabrum, 2 sons (inc Andrew (1830-1893), BA, was curate there in 1858 and headmaster of St Olave’s School, Southwark) and 1 dau, retired from scholastic work in 1840, died at his rectory in St Martin’s Lane, London, 20 September 1864 (CoG, 171-172)

Johnston, George Ainslie (1868-1949), medical practitioner, local doctor in Ambleside for over 50 years, original Armitt member 1912 and Ambleside Ruskin Library member 1894, friend of Kurt Schwitters, whose oil portrait of him was donated to the Armitt Trust by the Committee of Ambleside Old Folks’ Do in 1952

Johnston, Sir George Frederick, Major-General, of Castlesteads, Brampton, High Sheriff of Cumberland 1966

Johnstone, David Brand (1902-1940), Lieut, RNVR, auctioneer and estate agent, born 3 October 1902, son of Dr D A Johnstone, of Brighouse, Yorkshire, educ St Bees School (junior house 1910, member of 1st Rugby XV and vice-captain, left 1919), attempted to join RN but unable to pass medical examination, served with 6th Bn Sherwood Foresters from 1921 until apptd to Mersey Division as Probationary Sub-Lieutenant, RNVR in May 1924, taking special course in minesweeping in 1925 and serving until 1928, when he resigned his commission for business reasons, had been engaged in estate management at Whaley Bridge, then joined Messrs Campbell and Eaglesfield, stockbrokers, Carlisle, but left to join Messrs Tiffen & Sons, estate agents and auctioneers, later moved to Windermere as manager on death of John Nicholson in 1929, where he entered into social life of district, of Brant How, Bowness-on-Windermere (1938), had distinguished career in rugby as member of Sale XV and county caps for Cheshire and Cumberland, active in reorganisation of St Bees School in 1938-39 and was secretary of Windermere and District Old Boys, enrolled as member of RNVSR on 15 November 1937 and recommissioned in RNVR for duty in Naval Minesweeping Service in September 1939, promoted Lieutenant, but killed on active service on 3 February 1940 (WG, 10.02.1940)

Jollie, Edward (1825-1894), pioneer surveyor in New Zealand, b, in Brampton, son of the Rev Francis Jollie (qv), laid out the streets of Christchurch, began as cadet surveyor for the New Zealand Company, held several public appointments and was briefly the first MP for Cheviot.

Jollie, Francis (c.1755-1820), printer and publisher, issued first number of the Carlisle Journal, first newspaper to be published in Carlisle, in 1798, published proposals for ‘A new and complete History of Cumberland’ in April 1791, printer in Scotch Street, Carlisle until he retired in 1819, author of Sketch of Cumberland Manners and Customs (1811), died in 1820, aged 65 (CRH, ix-xx)

Jollie, Francis (1815-1870), politician New Zealand, son of the Rev Francis Jollie b. in Brampton, m Jane Cooper daughter of the Rev Blackey Cooper, early settler in New Zealand arriving as an agent for the New Zealand Company, MP for Timaru 1861-1866 and Gladstone 1866-1870

Jollie, Rev Francis J (1791-1828) of Brampton, m. Margaret Routledge (1796-1872), father of Francis Jollie (1815-1870) and Edward Jollie (1825-1894) (qqv) who both emigrated to New Zealand

Jolliffe, Charles Hylton (1864-1926), landowner, son of Charles Jolliffe, DL, lord of manor of West Newton and of Hayton, High Sheriff of Cumberland 1905, when of Goldicote, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, also of Newbus Grange, Darlington

Jolliffe, William (17xx-1802), politician, marr (1769) Eleanor, dau and heir of Sir Richard Hylton, formerly Musgrave, Bt (qv), thereby acquiring Cumberland estates, inc Hayton Castle, MP for ?; his son, Col Hylton Jolliffe (1773-1843), was MP for Petersfield for more than 40 years and declined Lord Liverpool’s offer of a baronetcy, and succ by his son, Charles (qv sub Charles Hylton Joliffe)

Jones, Austin (18xx-19xx), artist, landscape painter in oil, of Highgate, Kendal, practising as an artist in Kendal at beginning of 20th century, inc ‘Nether Bridge from Aynam Road, Kendal’ (1909), showing two arches of Nether Bridge (which was widened on upstream side in 1908), a building on right of bridge, Malt Kiln Cottages (which were demolished in 1906), with Cock and Dolphin behind (rebuilt in 1898)

Jones, Bertram (18xx-19xx), MA, clergyman, born in dio Carl, educ St Bees School and Trinity College, Cambridge (BA 1904, MA 1908), Ridley Hall, Cambridge 1904, d 1905, p 1906, curate of St James, Swymbridge, Devon 1905-1907 and of Wigton 1907-1909, chaplain at Taltal, Chile 1909-1913, chaplain (Miss to Seamen), Hartlepools 1913-1916, rector of St Hilda with St Andrew, Hartlepool 1915-1924, chaplain to Hartlepool Hospital and hon chaplain, Mission to Seamen 1916-1924, TCF 1915-1916 and CTF 1916-1921, general secretary, South American Missionary Society 1924-1936, commissary, Argentina 1935-1940, vicar of St George’s, Bolton 1936-1939, vicar of Holy Trinity, Kendal 1939-1952, rural dean of Kendal 1947-1952, chaplain to Westmorland County Hospital 1939-1952, hon canon of Carlisle 1947-1959 and emeritus from 1959, vicar of Walton 1952-1959, regarded as indecisive at Kendal, but of gentle disposition, in poor health, Portuguese wife, retired to The Clergy Bungalow, Lydiate, Pittong Lane, Liverpool in 1959, died by 1965 (GPK, 140)

Jones, Bruce Copley (1925-2013), archivist, editor CWAAS Transactions; CW3 iv 2

Jones, Sir Clement Wakefield (1880-1963), civil servant and writer, author of John Bolton of Storrs (1959) and A Tour in Westmorland (1948), mss Bodleian, photograph NPG

Jones, David (fl.1826-1861), independent minister, New/Lowther Street Chapel, Kendal 1826-1861, building refronted in 1828, speaker at anti-slavery meeting in Town Hall, Kendal on 14 February 1826 and at London Missionary Society meeting in chapel on 19 July 1826, popular preacher with overflowing congregations, lived at 122/124 Kirkland, resigning in 1861 (KK, 382; AK, 166)

Jones, David (1895-1974) CH CBE, artist and poet, 1st WW Royal Welch Fusiliers, Camberwell school of art, watercolourist and wood engraver, visited the Lakes, well acquainted with Ben and Winifred Nicholson (qv), verse admired by TS Eliot, WH Auden said Anathemata his best work, stayed Cockley Moor with Helen Sutherland (qv)

Jones, Frank M T (18xx-19xx), JP, land agent, hon secretary of Thirlmere Defence Association from 1877 (and subscribed £5) (CRO, WDX 144/3), member of provisional committee for Lake District Association in 1878 (CRO, WDX 269), also of Ambleside Parochial Committee (1885), of Lesketh How, Ambleside

Jones, Gwilym Peredur (1892-1975), MA, LittD, historian, born at Birkenhead in 1892, of Welsh-speaking family, educ primary and secondary schools in Birkenhead, and University of Liverpool (reading history, inc pal and dip and economics, with Welsh), started lecturing at 1st Army HQ, near Boulogne, on history and political theory in 1918, returned to Liverpool as Charles Beard Fellow in History, then as Lord Howard de Walden Fellow in Welsh History, tutor in industrial history and political theory for Liverpool Extramural Board to WEA classes at Crewe, Bootle, Warrington, etc from 1926, giving him outlet for his lively teaching apptd Lecturer in economic history at Sheffield University, later Reader, Professor and head of dept of economics 1948-1957, then retired as Emeritus Professor, Secretary of Sheffield Committee for Adult Education in HM Forces during WW2, author of articles and books on freemasonry, The Medieval Mason (with Douglas Knoop) (1933), A Hundred Years of Economic Development (with A G Pool) (1940) and contrib ‘Building in Stone in Western Europe’ to CEH Vol II (1952), O’Donnell Lecturer in University of Wales colleges in 1964 on subject of Brittonic Traces in the English Lake Counties, inclined more to study of Lakeland in 1950s, with retreats in Blawith, Broughton-in-Furness and Witherslack, member of CWAAS from 1956, vice-president  1962-1965, and Hon Member 1968, many publications for Transactions,  but most important was the major study, with Canon C M L Bouch (in failing health), of  A  Short Economic and Social History of The Lake Counties, 1500-1830 (1961), and A Short History of the Manor and Parish of Witherslack to 1850 (1971), exhibiting his exceptionally wide range as an historian (from medieval to modern economics, and dedicated to local history, even short unpub paper on ‘The Distribution of Wheelwrights in the Lake Counties in 1829’), philologist, linguist, and classical scholar, worked well with academic colleagues and students, but just as at home with local farmers, noted for his beautifully graceful handwriting, marr (1920) Winifred Agnes Riley, of Ulverston (also a Liverpool graduate and George Moore scholar), 1 dau (Elizabeth), of Pool Bank House, Witherslack, working on the poor law accounts of Allithwaite and district just a few days before he died at his home in Kents Bank, Grange-over-Sands, 12 February 1975 (CW2, lxix, 351-352; lxxv, 383-384)

Jones, H W, Town Clerk of Kendal 1948-1958

Jones, Sir John Lewis [1923-1998; ODNB], civil servant, b. Co Durham, son of a miner, educated Nelson Thomlinson school, Wigton, Royal Artillery 2nd WW, director general M15 1981-85, died Lincolnshire

Jones, John Paul (1747-1792; ODNB), merchant seaman and naval commander, born John Paul, at Arbigland in parish of Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright, 6 July 1747, 4th of six children of John Paul (d.1767) and Jean (nee MacDuff), educ Kirkbean parish school, apprenticed to Captain Younger, a Whitehaven merchant in 1760, later third mate on King George, a slaving vessel sailing out of Whitehaven to West Africa and American colonies, returned to Scotland in 1768, moved to North America in 1773 and took addnl surname of Jones, joined navy in 1775 and  given command of the Ranger in 1777, made daring raid on Whitehaven on night of 22-23 April 1778, spiking 36 cannon in Half Moon battery and setting fire to a coal ship, the Thompson, in harbour, with little material damage but greater effect on morale, dubbed the ‘Father of US Navy’, later became a rear-admiral in Russian navy of Catherine the Great, died in Paris, 18 July 1792, and buried in foreign Protestant cemetery there, but exhumed in 1905 and remains removed to US Naval Academy at Annapolis (WW, ii, 255-269); Peter Vansittart, John Paul Jones, [2004]; Whitehaven harbour has John McKenna’s Spiking the Gun sculpture, a reminder of his exploits there; David A. Cross, Public sculpture, 2017, 189-90

Jones, Owen (1809-1874), architect, designed new ceiling with gold stars on a blue background for the choir, Carlisle cathedral, published The Grammar of Ornament, featured upon a banner in cathedral 2020

Jones, Owen Glynne (1867-1899), rock climber, author of Rock Climbing in the English Lake District (1897), illustrated by photographs by George and Ashley Abraham (qqv), which came to define the pioneering days of rock climbing, killed when climbing in Switzerland in 1899, aged 32; his cousin Winifred Davies married George Dixon Abraham; their daughter was the journalist Edith Wilson qv

Jones, Thomas (c.1836/7-1xxx), schoolmaster, from Liverpool, trained as teacher at St Paul’s Training College, Cheltenham, when recruited for new school at Burneside, Master of Burneside School 1859-1897, retired, aged 33 when marr (22 September 1869, at Burneside) Lucy Ann, dau of James Bryce (decd) and sister of John Bryce (qv), issue?, died ?

Jones, William (18xx-19xx), clergyman, marr Margaret (1836-1930), yr dau of John Cropper, 3 sons (incl Vincent (1874-1967), who marr Mary Bagot, and Hubert Gresford, who wrote Competition Crotchets for Wakefield Musical Competition, April 1893) and 3 daus, Vicar of Burneside 1869-1896 (JC, 97)

Jones, Leifchild Stratten Lief-, 1st Baron Rhayader (1862-1939), PC, politician, born in St Pancras, London, 16 January 1862, son of Welsh Congregationalist preacher and poet, and brother of Sir David Brynmor Jones and John Viriamu Jones, of Naworth Castle, Brampton in 1909/10 before being elected in Liberal landslide as MP for North Westmorland 1905-1910 (January), Rushcliffe (December) 1910-1918 and for Camborne 1923-1924 and 1929-1931, Privy Councillor 1917, cr Baron Rhayader, 25 January 1932, died in Marylebone, London, 26 September 1939, aged 77;  (CW3, vi, 201)

Jonson (or Johnson), Ben (1572-1637), playwright, his grandfather moved from Annandale north of the Solway to Carlisle; Hudleston ( C ); Notes of Conversations between Jonson and Drummond of Hawthornden (1842), p.18

Jopling, Charles M, author of Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, comprising the Hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands (Soulby, Ulverston, 1843)

Jopling, Joseph J (18xx-19xx), BA, headmaster, headmaster of Society of Friends’ School, Brookfield, Wigton [founded in 1815 and built in 1826] (1897, 1906, 1910)

Jordan, Joseph, owner of J Jordan & Sons, corn and flour dealers, built Oakdene on Kendal Green for his family 1884 and Jordan’s Granary on Allhallows Lane, Kendal 1887 to designs of Stephen Shaw (demolished 1971), marr (1905) (photo in ‘Family Album’, 2)

Jowett, John Samuel (18xx-19xx), printer and antiquary, his business at 3 Windermere Road, Kendal (1905-1925), of Racecourse Farm (1905) (notes, pamphlets and books deposited  in CRO, WD/Sw, by his dau E, wife of Henrique Swinglehurst, of Elstead, Natland, Kendal, on 17 May 1963)

Joyce, George Henry (fl.early 20thc.), schoolmaster, organist and writer, lived Troutbeck, he arranged numerous mss which were published in his memory as Some Records of Troutbeck (c.1924)

Joyce, James (1882-1941; ODNB), novelist, in the early pages of Finnegan’s Wake, Joyce refers to the Giant’s Grave in St Andrew’s graveyard at Penrith.  This reference puzzled the present editor but it appears that it was a suggestion made by his patron Harriet Weaver (1876-1961) (qv), who had visited Penrith herself.  Joyce almost certainly did not visit Cumbria.

Joyce, William (1906-1946), (aka ‘Lord Haw Haw’), a US born Briton who broadcast corrosive fascist messages from Norway during WW2 designed to lower morale, married as his second wife Margot (Margaret) White of Carlisle, convicted of high treason in 1945 and executed by hanging in 1946

Judd, Frank Ashcroft (1935-2021) FRSA, b.1935, son of Charles Judd CBE, educ City of London School and LSE, National Service in RAF, Sec Gen International Voluntary Service, MP 1966 Portsmouth West (Lab), Parl Priv Sec Harold Wilson, interviewed by the Parliamentry oral history group, director VSO 1980-85, Oxfam 1985-1991, chair World Economic Forum, Geneva 1990, president YMCA, marr Christine Elizabeth Willington, lived Loweswater, president of Carlisle One World centre

Judge, Bamford (18xx-1xxx), Methodist minister, first incumbent of Grange-over-Sands Methodist church from 1876, given permission by Furness Railway Company to walk over the railway viaduct from Arnside (plaque on church)

Jukes, William Malone or ? Morley (18xx-18xx), clergyman, incumbent of Ennerdale, St Bees parish (1858)

Just, John (1797-1852), archaeologist and botanist, b. Natland, explored routes of Roman roads

Juvenal (late 1stc to early 2ndc. AD), Roman poet, served as a conscript in Maryport; LRB 22 November 18, 25